Behind the Scenes at pause // play // we sing to our food...
The eve of each Pause // Play // Escape finds Lisa and I in her kitchen in Malta preparing for the welcome brunch which we lovingly serve on day one of the retreat. Picture well thumbed recipe books and their modern day equivalents (the google search engine, delisciouslyella.com, cookieandkate.com, meatfreeathlete.com and so on!), boxes of veg and packets of nuts, seeds, powders and potions (all natural and wholesome) and of course a great soundtrack to cook to.
The eve of the last Pause // Play in Malta was no exception and a favourite moment was singing along to old school soul songs whilst whipping up this impressive and healthy and super easy little number... Can you taste the Aretha in it?
For 2-3 People (so multiply for as many as you want)
1 medium avocado, ripe ripe ripe
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (we used raw organic but good old cadbury's will suffice if that's all you got)
6 Tablespoons almond milk (or coconut milk or soya milk or cow's milk if you prefer)
1 (ish) teaspoon honey (or maple syrup or agave if you prefer)
optional: nuts, flaked coconut, fruit, mint leaves, sparkles for decorations
5 Step Method
- Split that avocado open and get rid of that pit into your compost bin (or do this with it), scrape out the good green stuff and fling it in your blender (if you don't have a blender you can totally do this in a bowl with a potato masher/fork, wooden spoon and muscles)
- Chuck in the rest of the ingredients (except the stuff for the topping obvs) and blend it till it's as smooth as Barry White
- Check the taste/consistency... add more liquid if its too thick, more cacao if its not chocolatey enough, more honey if you like a sweeter taste...
- Scoop into your serving bowl/cup/glass/receptacle of choice and put it in the fridge. When you're ready to serve it, top it with your sprinkles, fruit, nuts etc
- Sit back and receive the praise for this awesome and YES HEALTHY desert.
Get in on our next yummy brunch by joining the next Pause // Play // Escape...