On our May 2016 retreat, as part of the welcome brunch we enjoyed a delicious Spiralized Green Salad with a vegan pesto dressing. This salad is pure, simple and full of goodness :)
Recipe feeds 2 hungry yogis
For the salad:
- 4 x zucchini (you will also need a spiralizer. I use this one. If you don't have one you could grate the zucchini on a large hole grater. same same, but different!)
- a big handful of washed baby spinach
- a big handful of washed alfalfa sprouts
- a sprinkling of seeds if desired
For the Pesto:
- 1 cup washed basil leaves
- 1/2 a cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 a cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- a good extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Spiralize your zucchini to make your "zoodles" place in a large bowl
- Add your washed spinach leaves and alfafa sprouts to the bowl and mix well to combine the zoodles, spinach & sprouts.
- Put the basil, mint, parsley & garlic in a food processor and pulse until all leaves are finely chopped. Slowly add the olive oil to the herbs adding until you have a smooth, light moist and spreadable paste. Add salt & pepper to taste
- Just before serving mix the pesto with the greens and sprinkle with seeds if desired. If you are not going to serve immediately refrain from mixing the pesto in and keep the pesto in the fridge with a layer of olive oil over the top.
A delicious, nutritious, vegan, gluten free, lactose free, fresh green salad to nourish the soul!